Wednesday, May 10, 2006

lovely trees

I just love trees. I'm so pleased to be living
in an area where there are lots of them. And of
course, trees attract birds, and it's lovely to
hear the bird song.
The downside of living in an area like Mapperley
Park is having to sweep up lots of leaves in the
Autumn, and putting up with the grey squirrels.
The squirrels go for the bird food, and are fond
of digging up and eating bulbs you've just
planted out in the garden.
I went through a phase of trapping the buggers,
and then releasing them a few miles away in
parkland .... that is until I read on the
internet that they have a homing instinct like
pidgeons, and can find their way home within a
25 mile radius. So we don't put out much bird
food these days, and the squirrels are now less
of a nuisance.
Coming back to the subject of trees, I find
treeless landscapes and treeless suburbia dull
and depresssing. I quite like visiting moorland
however, but only for a short time ... I start
to feel isolated, and somewhat threatened by it,
especially in cold bleak weather. Once I've seen
an expanse of heather, some sheep and some sheep
droppings, I've had enough. I feel the same in
the vast treeless areas of fenland too.

It's been a lovely warm and sunny day today ...
just right for walking outside. Lots of flowers
and shrubs are out in bloom, with brilliant
colours and scents.... wonderful.
I'm putting on a couple of tree photos. The
cherry blossom is coming to the end now, but
this tree is still smothered in pinkish white
flowers. I took the second tree photo just
round the corner from where I live, earlier this
evening.

6 Comments:

Blogger whatalotoffun said...

I love trees to. We were stay there is lots of trees and it makes the whole neighbourhood look cozy. We have some Loerie birds in our trees and some woodpeckers. We are going into winter so the birds are all flyin to your side now for some warmer weather

7:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There,s nothing more
beautiful than Spring time
in Europe.
Magical how everything comes
back to life after many
months of snow ice and
freezing temps.

11:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah yes, a couple of Loerie
birds would complete the
picture, including sounds
please.

11:13 am  
Blogger justin said...

I've never seen or heard a Loerie bird .... I'll keep this bird in mind for when I next visit a zoo...I'll have a quick look on Google too.
I've never thought of South Africa
having winters either. How cold does it get? Do you get any ice and snow?

11:50 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

No ice and no snow just on the mountain tops. it gets cold but no like -o under under. I am not a winter person I love the summer more things to do.

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be quite honost Justin,
I,ve never noticed the
seasonal changes in Johannes-
burg - due to our constant
warm weather, but I remember
chilly mornings and evenings.
No snow or ice, only in the
Drakensberg Region.

Do check on the web search
of Yahoo for "pictures of
the Loerie bird".
a Most unusual looking bird
with a rather haunting
sound.
Absolutely Africa.

2:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home