Wednesday, May 31, 2006

the high cost of divorce

Most of you will know about two prominent
divorce settlement cases that were considered
by the Law Lords last week. I find it fascinating
stuff ... the aggrieved husbands are having to
dig deeper into their pockets to stump up huge
amounts of dosh, subject of course to the outcome
of their appeal. You can read more about it here.

My heart bleeds for the poor blokes. :)

One of the husbands made an interesting point ...
if his wife had sustained severe brain injuries,
the maximum compensation she would have received
in the law courts, would have been £2 million
pounds. After 3 years of marriage, one of the
women was awarded a payout of £5 million.

The Law Lords have decreed that women in their
situation should receive compensation for giving
up their own careers, keeping home for him and
raising their children – compensation being a
new idea it seems. One counter-argument I heard
on the radio this week was, "Well, they did
choose to do so".

And then there’s a question of pre-nups. Would
you sign one, if you were about to marry someone
better off than yourself? Perhaps that someone
has got an ex-husband/wife or children, and
wishes to ring-fence some of the dosh for them?
I suppose signing a pre-nup is a reasonable
idea, even though it doesn’t carry a great deal
of legal weight in this country. But it’s not
very romantic is it?

“Now repeat after me ... with this pre-nup,
I thee wed.”

6 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

the best thing is to go bankrupt then with out anything they can't get you
I did it

8:51 pm  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

To me its not about the money I will sign a pre nup to me its just unfair if you dont have anything on your name and then you want to take half of you hubbys. He worked his bud of for it. To me its all about love.

9:39 am  
Blogger justin said...

Steve: a good idea if you don't mind being broke and possibly living on your own.

Whatalot: it's all about love for me too. However I might feel differently if I were left on my own with young children, my partner having left me for someone else.

10:21 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Justin try the CSA being on your back, they have no consience and lets face it its just a computer, but I was having non of it, you want everything ok I will have nothing. yes I still pay for my kids I always did, never missed once.

8:12 pm  
Blogger Tjilpi said...

Ah, marriage is grand.

But divorce is $100 Grand.

3:39 am  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your comments, Steve and TJ (that's very funny, TJ). I think I would go for broke if the CSA was making my life a misery.

11:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home