Wednesday, May 17, 2006

“For money can’t buy me love”

I was sad to hear the news today that Sir Paul
and Heather McCartney are separating after being
married for four years. As you will have heard,
they are blaming the intense media intrusion on
their lives for the split-up. It must have been
sheer hell for them.

I recall reading about the trouble from the
press and photographers that Robbie Williams has
had, in Chris Heath’s biography of him. I won’t
go into any detail here in case I were to
infringe copyright, but it’s an interesting read.

I’ve been a fan of Sir Paul over the years (and
John Lennon even more so). I’ve been very
impressed with his musicianship and his song-
writing. I play electric guitar with a couple
of friends once a month, and we usually play
and sing a few Beatles songs every time.
We’re the Fab Three. I’ve got a couple of
Japanese Fender Strats and a Gordon Smith blues
guitar, BTW.

McCartney is staggeringly wealthy as you all
know, but I wonder how happy he is? Can money
buy you happiness and lasting love? Was he just
unlucky this time as regards the person he chose
to marry?

I’ll post a few photos of local gardens and
flowers over the next few days. Here’s a lovely
garden which is near to where I live, and which
stretches some distance down the hillside at the
back.

4 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

I hadn't heard the news but it's hardly surprising. Add the narcissistic world of celebrity to the public's pathological and insatiable appetite for access to people who often do what they do because they love attention and you have a vicious circle. What kind of relationship can survive that? (And how many do?) It's like the snake that eats its tail.

Me? A cynic? :o

8:37 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I used to but a paper every day but I don't now because they just print what they want so its best not to read it.

nice pic of the garden there Justin it looks lush and well tended

3:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul was never my fave Beatle
I am sorry about his marriage
though, I really thought he
found happiness after the
death of his Linda.
J. Lennon was my weird and
wonderful fan, what a singer
and songwriter, what a loss!!

8:17 am  
Blogger justin said...

Yes, celeb fame and fortune goes hand in hand with massive press scrutiny, and it's like living under siege all the time.
Mrs C and I had a taste of living under siege conditions in our previous house ... windows being constantly damaged/broken - occasionally being shot at with air rifle pellets, and verbal abuse from passing schoolkids, some of whom would take a shortcut running through our garden. It gradually got us down over a period of 2-3 years, and we had to move to escape.
Imagine having hordes of press and photographers hanging around outside your house all the time.
Want to be famous? No thanks.

10:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home