Tuesday, May 16, 2006

a busy day (well not really)

I took the car in for a minor service this
morning ... to a garage (Vic Herbert's) at the
top of the nearby hill, which is the highest
in Nottingham. I asked for the car battery and
the alternator to be checked over (and other
things), as I'm having to put the trickle
charger on overnight to make sure the car will
start up the following day.

We're using the car less and less these days,
only for an occasional big shopping trip,
visits to relatives, and for when we go on
holiday in the UK . Next weekend we're going
up to Leeds to stay with our fourth daughter
and her partner, and in three week's time we're
having a week's break in Cromer on the Norfolk
coast, travelling by car.

I had two lovely walks through leafy suburbia
to get from and to the garage, and I took a load
of photos on the second trip, in the hazy
sunshine. I'll put up some of my photos onto
this blog this coming week - I haven't had time
to look through them, as I've been busy doing
other things.

As Parkinson said, and I think it's very true,
"Work expands to fill the time available for
its completion". It's easy to find things to do
in retirement .... activities like blogging, for
example .... and it's even easier to postpone
other things that need doing. I'm an expert
in procrastination, a brilliant habit I picked
up from my dad. And if you wait long enough,
sometimes a problem will go away or it will get
sorted by someone else. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know the true value of time,
snatch, seize and enjoy
every moment of it.
No idleness, no laziness, no
procrastination, never put off
till tomorrow what you can do
today -
Lord Chesterfield.

Wise words.

6:39 am  
Blogger justin said...

DF: I certainly feel that time is precious and not to be wasted, but I have choices as to how I spend it.
My dad was very amused to read a saying, "If you feel an urge to do something, just sit down and wait until it passes", which is the antithesis of what Lord Chesterfield said. (This quotation was in the Faber Book of Aphorisms).

5:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home