Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Arta in Mallorca

We spent one hot and windy day driving North
to see Arta, a small town with a hilltop
fortress and chapels (with lovely views of
the countryside from the top), and then we
drove back along the coastal road, and saw
some holiday towns on the way (too much
modern development).
I didn't get any brilliant photos of Arta itself
(as the midday sun was too strong), but here a
few of the ones I took.... palm trees in the
centre, a shop sign (the shop sold Moorish
furniture and ornaments), and an arty shop
selling motifs to put up on your walls ....
that reminds me of the flying ducks that Jack
and Vera Duckworth used to have on their living
room wall (in Coro)... anyone remember those?


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh so Spanish!
I can smell the Ocean,
feel the sun and relaxation
just looking at those pics.

9:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your holiday recollections immensely.Your thoughts add so much to the photos. Far more interesting than just browsing Flickr. Regarding the 'bright sun- middle of day' issue, we have the same problem here in NZ. You might want to consider a Circular Polarizer for your DSLR. Interesting discussion/examples here and here.While they are Nikon threads the same theories apply. Keep up the good work. Regards from wintry New Zealand.

4:36 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

Nice take me with next time. Glad you back. Missed you

1:47 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your appreciative comments, everyone.
I'll look into getting hold of a
polarizer, EDT - thanks for your advice. (I usually avoid pointing my camera towards the sun).

6:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, they are an interesting filter indeed. No point in buying a 'cheapy' either, softening your pics from a decent lense with a cheap filter is self defeating. Hoya seem to rate well in the second thread? (Do the flickr thread links I post open by the way? I post the url logged on to my flickr account, am never quite sure if the url contains password info) You need to test one to see how it would relate to your lens hood too? There are 'darkening of exposure' issues with CP's, so some experimentation is definately required. If your Canon DSLR has a 'bracketing' feature that takes 3 pics, on,-under-over exposed, of a scene, then this may be a good place to start. Good Luck.

1:35 am  
Blogger justin said...

Edt ... your Flickr links work OK.
I'm about to order a couple of photography books, so I can get more out of the camera ... one on this make of camera by Charlotte Lowrie, the other is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

10:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home