Sunday, April 09, 2006

the little blue vase


This little vase is on my study window-ledge,
just alongside a scented geranium, which has
pretty white flowers. I've just worked out
that I've been looking after this plant/its
ancestors on and off for about 42 years. Well
when I say looking after it, I should be more
honest and say that I've neglected it most of
the time, as it's withstood long periods of
drought and still survived - it's an ideal
house-plant. If I water and feed it well, it
just goes rampant and very leggy. It's got a
lovely smell when you touch its leaves.
The photo looked very nice on my computer
screen, so I thought I'd share it with you.

I’ve often thought that friendships with other
people are like delicate plants ... they need
a lot of TLC. If you don't look after them
properly, then they just wither away and die.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath Delaney said...

Hi Justin!
Just passing by - I have a fig tree like that plant. Reading that post, I realised I've had my tree since I was 19 - which is like 17 years!!!

:o)

7:02 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice shot.

8:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,
This is a first round for
me, just wanted to comment
on your little plant, which
looks VERY much the same as
ours. We call it the "mystery
plant", have no idea what it
is.
During Summer it grows
long elegant stems with
bright red small flowers,
this little guy has no
scent what so ever. And yes
I,ve nursed it over a
period of 8yrs now.
We love your beautifull
pictures.

11:17 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

I love plants but dont have one in my house at the moment. I will start my collection ones Danielle is a little bigger and understands more. I dont like saying to no dont touch no dont do that. I like it as she just roams around the house doing just what she wants and pleases. She likes to explore so if I had lots of plant I a sure that I would have had nothing left by now. So I will wait

2:58 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Dragonfly - there are many sites on Google about geranium varieties.
There is one called mulberrycreek dot com, which looks helpful. I couldn't find the particular variety I've got. I've put another photo of it on my Flickr site, if you wish to have a better view of it (click on the Flickr Badge).
We also have a variety called "Attar of Roses", of the same vintage, which is still listed by several nurseries - a very vigorous plant, gorgeous smell, and medium-sized pinkish flowers. Like the other geranium, it withstands a huge amount of neglect, but loves it if you water and feed it well.

6:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Justin,
Thanks so much for the use-
ful info.
I must comment on those
gorgeous trams in Notting-
ham, identical to the ones
in Strassbourg, nothing
to compare with the
seedy looking trams we
have in Switzerland.

7:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home