Friday, April 07, 2006

A lily photo


Here is a photo of a couple of lilies in our
house at the moment. The lilies remind me of
past visits to the wonderful Salts Mill in
Saltaire near Bradford, which has a permanent
exhibltion of paintings and drawings by David
Hockney. The gallery is full of artists'
materials and books on fine art and literature
... like an Aladdin's Cave.
The art gallery area smells heavenly with lots
of fresh white lilies. The mill has an
excellent restaurant on the top floor which is
always busy. Somewhere nice to go to at any
time of year.
Another wonderful place is the tropical house
at Canal Gardens in Roundhay Park, in Leeds.
It's full of exotic plants and butterflies. The
park itself is lovely to walk around too.

My late parents lived nearby for many years,
as I did before I got married, and we used to
visit them a lot when our kids were little.
There was a huge cherry tree in their garden,
with masses of white blossom on it, like a
snow storm ... the blossom will be appearing
about now. The tree was just outside my
bedroom window, so I would gaze at it from
time to time, while I was studying.
Another magical experience for me in my
student days, was seeing a performance of
Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", for the first time.
It was performed on TV by a small chamber
orchestra, and was set in a large conservatory,
surrounded by parkland. They staged it so that
you could see the seasons changing as they
played through each movement. Fabulous music
in a fabulous setting.

1 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Salt's Mill sounds like a little bit of heaven to me and I love the name. And congrats on your impending Grandpa-dom.

9:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home