Tuesday, April 04, 2006

How about changing your name?

I've thought from time to time that I'd like
a peerage (like some of Tony Blair's cronies).
How nice to have a name/title like "Lord Alfred
Tennyson" - sounds very grand to me and
sounds good to hear the name spoken.
I sometimes think my parents could have chosen
perhaps a middle name for me, like
Lord/Viscount/Earl ...they would have made me
a man of distinction instantly.
Well, my mum said (with laughter) some years
ago, that I could always change my name by
deed poll, and so I could.
Thinking back to my schooldays, I would have
been pilloried by the other kids, if they'd
found out I had such a fancy name (unless I'd
been sent to Eton/Harrow of course).
One of my daughters suddenly announced a few
months ago that she'd changed her name by
deed poll. I was shocked initially, but all
she'd done was to create a middle name for
herself, which is now her stage name (as a
harpist). She was having problems finding a
bank which would allow her to open an account
with a stage name.
I wonder how pop stars like Sting and The Edge
sorted that one out?
So, there's no need to pay huge sums of money
to a political party (unless you wish to sit
in the House of Lords and use the dining room
there) ... just change your name by deed poll
or more simply, change your blog name
... eg to Countesse Milady de Winter.

7 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Speaking of changing your name, are you done yet? :) Can I change my blogroll?

8:45 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Yes, I'm done for now, Andrea.
A couple of other people have labelled my site as "Justin", which is OK by me, and which would save you the bother of having to change your blogroll if I were to change the blogsite name yet again.

11:09 pm  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

I am one of the culprit's thats got you listed as Justin (can I call you Oupa(grandpa) I never had an Oupa they both died before I could meet them) Cause everytime I went into your blog its got a diffrent name how did you do that (I think I am a undercover blond)

7:40 am  
Blogger justin said...

Whatalotoffun - as regards the banner photo, I chopped up one of my holiday photos (photo A) in Photoshop, and saved it (photo B). Then I added text to the photo in Photoshop and saved the result as a new photo (photo C). So at a later date I can use photo B again and put a different blog title on it. I've put more info on creating banners in the Comments box for Wednesday March 29.
You must be clairvoyant, as I'm soon to be a grand-dad!

8:52 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

So you mean to say I have to change your name? Oh dear, what a bind! :-)

9:44 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

You mean I have to change your name now? Oh dear, what a bind! :-)

Talking of Tennyson, Lord Mark Tennyson, great grandson of the poet, is a personal friend of mine. Well, he may not realise so now as he is ga-ga but he's still very active. He's the stepfather of a very good friend of mine in Cape Town.

9:47 pm  
Blogger justin said...

RN - I'm amazed to hear that you know a member of the Tennyson family. Does Mark lead an aristocratic lifestle, and is he poetic?
My mum befriended an earl, when she was doing some research on a biography she was writing. The earl was a retired schoolteacher, and wasn't very well off - he'd inherited the earldom from a distant relative.

11:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home