Sunday, April 16, 2006

Friends

We've had fabulous, warm Spring sunshine here
in the Midlands, and all the leaves on the
trees are coming out. I'm feeling great.

We've had more family gatherings today - all
on Mrs C's side of the family, plus our girls
and their partners. My side of the family are
somewhat distant - we meet up two to three
times a year - I've got an older brother
living in Bingley, a sister in Strasbourg and
another sister in Forest Fields in Nottingham
(about 20 minutes walk away). I rarely see my
brother's children.
Going back a generation, my father was the
eldest of 5 children, but he only kept in touch
with his sister and her kids (based in York).
I'm in contact with one of my cousins, as he's
the main family historian, but I hardly know
any of my other cousins.
Mrs C's family is more close-knit, which has
always impressed me - helped a lot by Mrs C's
mum who lives near us and who is very sociable.
My side of the family were fairly inept as
regards social skills, as I am to some extent.
I find it difficult to approach strangers at a
party and to get a conversation going, but I
do enjoy going out to meet people I get to know.
My friends are much better company than any
member of my family of origin - much more
friendly, and more interested in me as a person
(as I am with them).
I think one of the main turning points in my
life ....(in my early forties, when I was going
through a mid-life crisis)... was when I went
along to Transactional Analysis classes in
Nottingham and Derby, which gave me huge
insights into how people interact and behave.
There I met a great crowd of people who were
able to talk freely about their problems with
other people. Later on I read several of
Dorothy Rowe's books on depression, anxiety
and ageing - if you're interested in finding
out more about yourself and how other people
tick, I recommend you read her books.

2 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

My family is split like that my brother who incidently was married in Bingly (I you know Bingly it was the church at the Crossflats end of Bingly next to the junction which takes you to the river and up to St Ives)well He now lives in Poole I have a sister in leeds and another who lives in Whitby.
All my children live in either Bradford or Leeds I go to see them about once every 6 weeks and wee keep in touch using Skype and web cams
My mother still alive lives in a home in Heckmondwyke she has severe dementia and is 85

7:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky is the guy who got the
"remains" of that choc. cake (ha
ha).
I,ve always envied people who
are embraced by a close-knit
family, I never got lucky there.
Growing up as an only (lonely)
child, to use the word shy
would be an understatement.
Confidence & bravado entered
my life - much later.
There are loads of cousins
from my Mom,s side - but no
contact.
My husband,s family - here in
Europe, few & far apart, also
no contact there.
My daughter lives in Zürich,
one hour drive from our town -
for me , a million miles away,
she,s still my "baby".
We,re always in contact - 3hour
`phone calls, sms e-mails &
visits.
My son remained in S.A. - re-
fuses to live anywhere else.
Many of us are just victims of
circumstances, but it still re-
mains a sad situation when
family looses contact.
Quite a topic that !!

3:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home