Thursday, March 09, 2006

Hidden

Mrs C and I went out to see the film “Hidden”
tonight. We thought it was very good – an
intriguing plot, but we were puzzled by the
ending – I won’t say any more about that, as
some of you may wish to see it. We thought
the acting was excellent. Daniel Auteuil and
Juliette Binoche are two of my favourite film
actors. There’s an interesting review of the
film at the TimeOut site.

I felt increasingly tense as the film
progressed...the atmosphere of the local
streets at night, full of parked cars but
empty of people, felt eerie and evil to me
– reminded me of looking at the gloomy
wind-swept parkland in the 1960s film
“Blow-Up”... really scary.

We went to see "Hidden" at The Small Screen
cinema in Nottingham. It claims to be the
smallest cinema in the world. There was a
fairly large room inside, with well-padded
seats (19 of them). It had a cosy atmosphere
– one which encourages you to start chatting
with complete strangers, which we did. It
was our first ever visit to this cinema – for
many years it was to place to go to see the
XXX films, so for me it had a rather seedy
image. Now it shows both mainstream and
alternative films.

Before the film show, we treated ourselves to
a light meal out. We had a Thai tofu curry at
the Broadway Cinema across the road. The main
meals there are amazingly good value at £5.50
a head. I’d give the Thai curry 8 out of 10
for quality – good for that price.

I sometimes meet up with friends at The
Broadway in the daytime for a chat and a
coffee ... the latter is freshly brewed but
is somewhat lacking in flavour and body. I
would rate the coffee at about 5 out of 10 –
drinkable but nothing to “write home” about.
I’ll be pleased when the nationwide ban on
smoking comes into force in about 18 months'
time. Someone lit up a cigarette at the table
next to us, while we were eating. Not very
pleasant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home