Monday, March 06, 2006

Desert Island CDs

Andrea comments that she misses the home-made
bread her husband used to make. I love freshly
baked bread – I love its fabulous smell and
taste.
If any of you were around in the 50s and 60s,
you may remember the tiny loaves of Hovis
bread you could buy at your local baker’s shop
– mini-sized loaves. Delicious when eaten
fresh with a generous amount of butter.
I and my sister S. used to eat one of these at
one go for a treat (after the weekend food
shopping trip with our mum and dad)... one
loaf each.

For over 10 years we’ve had a Panasonic
breadmaker, and I’ve managed to re-create
this type of bread with Hovis Strong Wholemeal
flour. I usually bake some bread 1-2 times a
week (and more often when family come to stay).
You can vary the type/mix of flour to your
taste, and you can time the breadmaker to
finish baking at breakfast-time. Lovely to
wake up to the smell of bread baking.

Another of my all time favourites is the smell
of freshly brewed coffee – I would take a
supply of ground coffee with me for my treat
on my “Desert Island”. As for choosing eight
records/CDs to take with me, I would find that
very difficult as there is so much music I
love - from Bach, Vivaldi and Mozart, up to
present day pop.

I listened to “Desert Island Discs” today,
and the castaway chose Rod Stewart’s “Sailing”
– it was stunning ... as is another of my
all-time favourites, Eva Cassidy singing “Over
The Rainbow”. I also like listening to people
like Eric Clapton and Gary Moore singing the
blues, and lots of other singers too.
If I were allowed to take an iPod with me to
the desert island, I’d take the entire
collection of works by Mozart, Schubert,
Chopin, Debussy and Ravel with me, also.
You see, I’m a romantic, with melancholic
tendencies.
To end on - here’s another sky picture, taken
through our roof window.

5 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

You are so right about the smells of baking bread and freshly brewed coffee from freshly ground beans - sublime!

Although I've lived in Hockley for almost a year now (barring about 3 months away), I've only just started appreciating how interesting and enjoyable the area is - I really ought to get myself a camera to take pictures of the neighbourhood.

8:28 pm  
Blogger justin said...

I've become increasingly attached to Nottm over the years (I moved here from Leeds in the mid 70s) .. and the city planners' decision to reduce the amount of traffic going through has made the centre much more pleasant to walk around. It's a brilliant shopping centre and arts centre .... with loads of good entertainment, pubs & restaurants, library facilities, etc, etc.
You will know all this, RN. I'm just writing to let others know what a brilliant place Nottm is.

If you're thinking of buying a digital camera, I can recommend the dpreview and e-opinions sites for camera reviews.
I recently bought a 4 megapixel Canon Powershot A520 (from Dabs dot com), which Mrs C and I are very pleased with. Good quality pics but small enough to fit inside your coat pocket. The camera and the software is very easy simple to use (much easier than my previous Olympus C-5060).

8:07 am  
Blogger Gordon said...

Ahhh home-made bread. Heavenly aromas and lazy reminisces, very evocative. Thanks for that.

10:33 am  
Blogger andrea said...

We had Hovis as a treat here, too. Imported from the UK no doubt.

2:27 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Thanks for the recommendation on a camera to buy - I shall have to look into the affordability of it. I do think a camera is a necessity these days....I can feel a montage of Hockley in the brewing!

5:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home