Monday, March 13, 2006

Cold weather

I woke up yesterday morning to find we'd
mis-timed our central heating - it hadn't
come on at 7am as usual, and the upstairs was
cold. Too cold for me to have a shower
straightaway. (I'm a fairly thin bloke -
height about 5' 10 1/2", weight varying
between 9 - 9 1/2 stones - dead skinny really,
so I have to wear lots of layers in the cold
weather to keep warm.
Being retired gave me the option/luxury of
being able to wait until the house started to
warm up, but then having a shower in chilly
surroundings took me back in my mind to one
of our visits to see our daughter S. in
Enschede, Holland. We stayed a couple of
nights in a 2 star B&B - we were in a small
bedroom in a beautiful Dutch family home.

I love the overall design of Dutch houses,
with their large glass windows (with dark
window surrounds and gorgeous interiors).
However the shower room in this particular
house was somewhat primitive ... the windows
were louvre-style with permanently open glass
slats, and the shower water had that annoying
facility of going from very hot to freezing
cold during the shower ... not consumer-
friendly. And our visit was in February when
it was very cold.

Apart from seeing our daughter, one of the
best things about our stay was visiting the
best coffee-shop in the town (it hosts jazz
groups in the evenings and has an attached
cinema too). The coffee was fabulous, served
up with small home-made biscuits... equally
delicious... mmmmMMMMM.
Here's a photo of one of the capuccinos I had
(I prefer them without chocolate on top).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin. I found your blog via comments you've made at zoe's MBIAT blog :)Your now saved in me 'Blog READS' favourites folder. Re your earlier small cinema post, Boutique Cinemas are all the rage here in NZ at the moment,usually independant from the main movie theatre chains. Have a read of The Light House and Circus Cinema Bar Cafe The ticket prices are greater than the normal movie chains, but they offer a different movie going experiance. In the case of the Circus, its a small contry town, showing lots of regrowth due to local vineyard developement. The nearest big cinema is a 35min drive north. Regards from New Zealand

8:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home