Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Astrology – fact or fiction?

Is astrology a load of rubbish?

Well I don’t really believe in astrology ..
the idea that my basic personality has been
pre-ordained, by the timing of my birth in
relation to the positioning of the sun and
planets, seems far-fetched to me. That
somehow I was fated to meet up with and marry
someone like Mrs C, and spend the next 30
plus years together, as her astrological
features complemented my own ?? What about
my “freedom of choice” in this matter ... and
if there were thousands of other people born
at the same time as myself, does that mean
there are a lot of people on this planet who
think or behave the same as me?

I’ve experienced one remarkable thing, however.
Well over ten years ago, when I was attending
transactional analysis classes in Derby, I met
up with someone called M., who was 11 years
older than myself. He and his wife became
good friends of ours. He and I shared the
same oesophageal (gullet) stricture problem
since childhood, though we both grew out of
it, and he had the same birthday as myself...
an amazing coincidence. I didn’t find these
things out for some years. Apart from
enjoying each other’s company, (and admiring
each other’s skills), there was no other
marked resemblance between us. Unfortunately
he died a few years ago, of oesophageal cancer,
at the age of 61.

A close relative of Mrs C’s is very much into
astrology – she’s been on various courses,
she’s got the computer software, and she does
charts for family and friends. She’s got a
science degree and works in a haematology lab.
I don’t know why she has such faith in
astrology. Some of our girls have had their
charts done by her, and have been impressed
with the results. She likes to find out what
motivates people to do things, by looking at
their charts, and how this affects their
relationships.
Why not simply ask them? It would save her
loads of time.

My friend A. is a neuro-psychologist, and is
scathing about astrology. He reckons that it
doesn’t stand up to any scientific analysis,
to prove that it works. He is equally
dismissive about the benefits of personal or
relationship counselling, though he sees a
few private clients from time to time, for
anxiety management.

As I’ve said already, I’m sceptical about
astrology, and particularly about any
forecasting of my future life. In fact I’m a
bit scared to have any forecast done by this
method or any other, such as a Tarot card
reading, in case something unpleasant is
predicted! Perhaps I should regard it just as
a bit of fun. An interesting pastime, like
having a card game. Oh my God, I'm rambling
on again, in Libran fashion.

3 Comments:

Blogger whatalotoffun said...

I dont read my star signs when I see it. I dont go out my way to read it everyday. I believe 50/50 sometimes Ive read mine and some of the things came true. I dont know but I wont put my heart into it.

9:39 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

Its funny but I don't believe in the signs.... completely. My husband is a Virgo, coincidentally my best friend is a Scorpio (like me) and her husband is also a Virgo. The similarities, our dynamics, thought processes, etc. is uncanny, even before we fond out how similar our star signs are. So who knows for sure.

12:17 am  
Blogger justin said...

Yes, I sometimes think there's a grain of truth in astrology, given the coincidences that happen from time to time. Sceptics would say they happen by pure chance, though.

How we choose a friend or a partner is something I find very interesting. I don't know how significant the astrological signs are, in choosing a mate. I haven't yet checked the star signs to see if I'm compatible with Mrs C - after 30 plus years of marriage - and I don't think I ever will.

10:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home