Saturday, February 18, 2006

Grandma!

Mrs C's mum, Grandma, called round today on
her way into town (walking). She was taking
a brand new electric toaster back to John
Lewis, to exchange it for another. "It
wouldn't work at all ..... well, it was
a cheapo - only cost me £7.00."

I wish to add at this point that G is 85
years old, and that she is as fit as a
fiddle. A couple of years ago, she completed
an Honours arts degree course with the Open
University. Her husband died back in 1996.

Anyway, I got the toaster out of its box,
plugged it into a wall socket, and pressed
down the lever at the side. Hey Presto! All
the filaments inside the toaster started to
glow a lovely warm red.

"Oh!" said G in a rather surprised and
indignant voice. "So you have to press down
the knob at the side? I thought it would come
on, when I switched it on at the wall...
....well, I've never used a toaster before."

(And then I thought of all those years she's
been round at our house, helping us out when
our kids were little, and also all the self-
catering holidays we've had together over the
years, when there's always been an electric
toaster available).


We carried on talking about other things, and
and later she set off to go back home with
her new toaster (in a very cheerful mood).

Some kids do hav' 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home