Monday, January 09, 2006

Personality test results revisited

I thought I'd reply here to Reluctant Nomad's
queries about my personality test results.
I think my results are fairly accurate, which
is not surprising really, as the system is
designed to mirror back what you tell it.

Mrs C & I have had a chat about some of the
results and what they mean... for example on
the subject of being materialistic, I am
careful with money, preferring to save it
rather than spend it. So I tend to know the
cost of things (as I do most of the food
shopping), and when my favourite tea was on
offer in Asda / Wallmart at 78p rather than
the standard 98p, I bought up 16-20 packets
of it .... I get through one packet of
Twinings English Breakfast tea each week.
Now, is this plain common sense or am I being
(in the words of one of my neighbours), a
"tight bastard"?

I don't crave for the "good" things in life
.... luxury holidays, fast cars, etc., and I
don't attempt to "keep up the Jones" as
regards our neighbours. So I don't regard
myself as a status-seeker, though Mrs C
pointed out that I often tell new people we
meet about my past working life. She thinks
it's status-seeking on my part (and that it's
off-puting to others). Though I disagree
with her as regards my motivation, she's
probably right as regards how others would
react. So I'm keeping "mum" about by ex-job.

4 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

So what job is it? :-)

2:04 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for asking, RN.
I was a GP ... I got too stressed out to carry on working (worsening workload, mountains of paperwork, and generally poorer quality of life), so I opted for early retirement rather than struggling on.

11:35 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I started 'working life' as a medical student but dropped out after 3 years. As far as I can tell, the life of a GP can be very stressful.

7:02 pm  
Blogger andrea said...

I have to side with you there (sorry, Mrs. C) -- one's work is way more important to one's status than one's bank account -- in my not-so-humble opinion -- but then I would say that considering my financial situation! I consider my GP to be a saint considering his working conditions. Good on you for retiring before you started suffering stress-related illnesses. Keep talking about it -- medicine is one of those fields we an all relate to (I used to be a teacher which is another one) and has the best stories. Isn't that why there have been so many medical shows on TV?

Love the photo above.

3:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home