Sunday, January 22, 2006

A new disease – computer addiction

Mrs C reminded me today of various things
she’s like me to do in the house and garden.
She’s been badgering me for months to get on
and do things, but then asks why I haven’t
got round to watching this and that on video
(stuff I’ve recorded from the TV some time
ago). Well she can’t have it both ways … I
can’t be dead-heading the hydrangeas while
watching my video of Paul McCartney singing
some of his old hits.

She’s right of course (women are always right
– this is one of first rules a man must
learn if he is to have a long-term
relationship with a woman).

What am I doing a lot of my time? Yes, I’m
on this computer, surfing the net, messing
about with websites (I’ve just adopted
another one, which is why I haven’t done much
blogging of late – sorry about that, folks),
and emailing family & friends, etc..

Sound familiar? It should do, as if you’re
reading this, you are probably as addicted as
I am to the machine.

I start to get computer withdrawal symptoms,
whenever Mrs C & I go away on holiday,
especially to places like Spain where the TV
is crap and all in Spanish (which I can’t
speak/understand very well).

One good thing about going abroad on holiday
(apart from the warm sunshine, and the fab
scenery, food and wine), is that it’s the
only time I get down to some serious reading
- I can read one or two novels in a week when
I’m away – fewer distractions. We also take
some books of simple crossword puzzles or
Sudoku with us, especially for train or air
travel… and a pack of cards.

Last summer we went by train to Austria and
had a great time doing puzzles on the train,
and looking at the scenery passing by ....
I can recommend the travel company, “Great
Rail Journeys”, if you enjoy travelling by
rail, and having lots of brilliant guided
tours, and good accommodation too.

But I digress … as Ronnie Corbett used to say.
Today I suddenly felt the urge to get on with
some house-decorating … at long last. Well,
I did make a start last week, filling in a
few holes in the walls in our little
cloakroom, with Polyfilla-like stuff.

Anyway, Mrs C and I went off to Homebase this
morning and got the paints, shelving, etc.,
and this afternoon we set to on wallpapering
the room. We put up some lining paper for me
to paint over in the next day or two.

I usually get the urge to do things around
the house and garden as Spring approaches. It
feels as if I’m getting everything ready for
something important ... a bit like birds
building nests in the Spring.... a feeling of
expectancy.

I think I get a mild form of seasonal
affective disorder in the winters …… I slow
down a little and feel a bit low, but now
with the longer hours of daylight, I’m
starting to perk up.

So, now I’m a perky saddo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home