Monday, December 19, 2005

Xmas Cards & Newsletters

Does anyone like receiving cards and
newsletters at Xmas-time? Do they really
enhance our friendships?

When I haven’t been in touch with a friend or
a family member for some months (or even a
year), I enjoy catching up on a bit of their
news. What I don’t like are cards from
people who’ve hurriedly scribbled a name or
two on their card (like saying a brief
“Hello” to a someone in the street).

And what I dislike even more are utterly
boring newsletters, either full of stuff I
already know about them, or with lists of
names of people I’ve never heard of or met.

A lot of people write in a very strange
style, such as “Richard did ... Meanwhile,
Sue did so well at...” ... and I’m left
wondering who actually wrote the blasted
thing. Others write in a very boastful way
of their own and their childrens’
achievements, with colour photos of award
ceremonies they’d been to, and the like.
(I'm beginning to sound like Victor Meldew).

Well, what about emailing some form of Xmas
greetings to your family and friends? This
year, I’ve sent a few Xmas cards by email, to
try this idea out. I put a cheerful Xmas
message onto one of my digital photos, and
sent the photo off to a few of my friends,
one by one.

I asked my big brother what he thought of the
idea (I’d thought he’d be one of those who
might be offended), but surprisingly he was
all in favour of the idea ... "Better for the
environment," he said.

So in future, I’m thinking of sending out a
lot more email greetings, together with a bit
of news for the people I send them too. If
it snows in the next month or so, I’ll be out
there with my camera to get some nice snow
scenes for future use. (Now, I'm starting to
sound patronising).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home