Saturday, November 19, 2005

A funny thing happened

Walking home yesterday evening with Mrs C
from the centre of town, we passed a couple
of young girls who were chatting and having
a fag (in the UK that means smoking a
cigarette). I only saw one of them clearly
as it was dark outside .. she was pretty
with long dark hair and looked about 14 or
15.

As it was freezing cold (about minus 5C),
I had my full winter gear on including a
green woolly hat, that looks a bit like
a tea cosy. For those of you who can
remember, I must have looked like Benny
on “Crossroads” or one of the Flowerpot Men.
Mrs C was walking a bit faster than me,
heading for a pedestrian crossing, and was
slightly ahead of me.

“Hi sexy!” the girl called out. “Can I have
your number?” Well, I just grinned at her,
being not quick-witted enough to give a
a funny reply. Mrs C was amused.

That was the first time I’ve been
propositioned in the street by attractive
woman..… oh no, I tell a lie… I was asked by
a prostitute some years ago, if I fancied
any “business”. I’d stopped the car to ask
for street directions … well, I’m sticking to
that story, officer.

Another funny thing happened last summer.
I’d just left my car at my local garage for
repair one lunchtime … this is very close to
one of the schools in Nottingham
(in Mapperley). A couple of young lads aged
about 8 or 9 were playing football in a quiet
side street. One of them shouted out, “Hey
up Granddad, have you got the time?”.

I was quite shocked but amused. I never thought
of myself being in that age-group, but then my
oldest daughter is now 30.

So now I’m a daft old git.

I’m really looking forward to getting my bus
pass at 60! Can’t wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home