Saturday, March 12, 2005

Give us this day our daily blog

Well you can see this blog is not even once a
month. Anyway, the levels of beer in my two
kegs were getting low, so I’ve started off
another brew today.

Over the Xmas period and since, I’ve been
drinking two kit beers, one in the Munton’s
Gold Range and Brupak’s Kirkby Bitter. I
thought both of them were of reasonable
quality, but not exceptional (or I would
drunk them faster).

The brew I set going today was Woodforde’s
Norfolk Wherry Best Bitter, recommended by
Peter Laycock.

Have a look at his excellent site.

I was surprised to find that this kit was in
fact made by Munton’s. I’ll let you know what
I think about this brew in due course.

My brewing history….
Well, I started off brewing in the late 1970s
with some inferior kit beers (the type where
you add sugar to the mix). In the 1980s I
had a go at mashing the malted grain, etc,
and for a while joined a group of home
brewers, who on the whole produced some very
good beers.

Then I teamed up with my brother-in-law, and
we made some good beers using malt extract
(Edme SFX), together with various types of
hops (Goldings and Fuggles mainly). I
experimented for several years, trying to
make a perfect tasting brew, with little
success.

Then in the 1990s my local home-brew shop in
Nottingham, suggested I try the Brupak’s and
Munton’s range of beers and lagers, together
with the Hambleton Bard beer kegs. These kits
(with no added sugar) are worth paying the
extra for, for superior tasting beers in my
opinion.

Talk to you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home